Wednesday, May 13, 2009

NH Sheep & Wool Festival

This past weekend was the NH Sheep and wool Festival. I went with Meow Meow Head, The Crazy Future Librarian, The Bogus Roby, and her daughter. It was a blast. We touched all of the major fiber groups, sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas, and bunnies.

The cutest animal by far was the 10 day old goat, about the size of Linus or any other 8 pound cat. She was exhausted but super adorable.

I picked up some Peruvian Alpaca Tweed in the color Midnight. Ok so it wasn’t local but it was soft and I made other local purchases as well. So here I am with 600yds of alpaca softness. I spent 20+ hours searching for the perfect pattern, with that yardage it needs to be a vest. Nothing grabbed me from my Interweave reserve, nothing perfect on Ravelry. Ok try searching for sweaters and I’ll leave off the sleeves. I found a couple decent ones but nothing that blew my socks off. So I’ll be creating my own design. A bit of a Frankenstein project. The hem of one, a lacy stitch pattern, the collar of another, the armholes of a third, and I’m crossing my fingers. With all this exciting uncertainty I decided that I didn’t want to risk running out of yarn. So I emailed the shop and they’re sending me a second skein today. Amazing customer service if you ask me. This will be the first sweater that I design. Who knows if it’s good enough I might even submit it to Knitty. Of course I’m putting the cart before the horse here since all I’ve done is sketch it and the gauge swatch.

No comments: