Friday, July 30, 2010

Wolves of the Calla and Venus Shawl

The past couple of weeks I’ve been listening to The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I’m on the Wolves of the Calla now. That’s book 5 of the 7 book series. Every fall for at least 4 years I listened to the first book followed by the next book I was up to. First year book one. Second year books one and two. And so on until I lost interest. I’m not really sure what prompted me to pick it up again, but this summer I restarted and quickly listened through books one, two, and three. And again four slowed me down. I think Mr. King wrote villains that were so despicable I didn’t want to spend time with them. But with a little encouragement from MMH I made it through and am onto book five which just so happens to be the thrilling page turner I’ve come to expect. It’s like spending time with old friends. The Dark Tower is by far my favorite book/series. The only books I’ve read more than twice.

And while I’m listening to this excellent story, I’ve been working on this shawl. It’s slow work but I’m enjoying finishing up some skeins and trying out new ones. It uses 7grams per square so I’ve allowed myself use some fresh skeins since the loss of 7grams wont effect my ability to craft a full pair with the remaining skein. It’s been funny to hear me after completing each square proclaim that this is my new favorite yarn and I want to cast on a pair of socks with it right now. If I had, I’d be up to 10 new works in progress right now. Luckily I’ve had a bit of self control and instead the shawl slowly grows. I’m heading toward a total of 66 squares.

No comments: