Sunday, March 28, 2010

Crazy in Aqua & Sideways Lace Vest

This weekend I jumped in head first.

The ‘need’ to cast on a new sweater has been eating away at me. Sunday morning was that day. I cast on for a sleeve of the Bias Fair Isle Pullover. Using size 7 needles and substituting Cascade 220 superwash for the worsted yarn in the pattern. After reviewing the colors again I decided that the order I originally intended wouldn’t work. After about 4” I measured, not on gauge. So I switched to size 8s and kept going. I seem to recall EZ using sleeves as swatching platforms. I wasn’t too far off to begin with so it wasn’t a surprise that I got gauge with the 8s. It’s hard to imagine how the colors will play out until a 28 row repeat is completed. I decided that the blue velvet should be substituted for the Lichen and the Lichen should be substituted for the army green. So that’s how I’ll do the next repeat.

.

.

.

.

I’m just going to go with it and continue to use this sleeve as a swatch. I’ll make the second sleeve match and perhaps the body. Instead of a 28 row repeat it’ll be a 56 row repeat. I’m fine with that. In fact I’m rather pleased with my ability to be flexible. I think it stems from remembering that charts and

Fair Isle aren’t the most fun I’ve ever had. I just happen to appreciate the finished results.
.
.
.
By Sunday afternoon I was tired of color work. And ready to move on to the new yarn I’d just picked up at the Spinning Yarns sale. Ok it wasn’t on sale but I was there for the sale and I fell in love with the pattern, so pattern and yarn came home. At least I didn’t buy the exact color of the pattern, although that went well with my coloring.
Knitting the Soft Linen Sideways Lace Vest was a welcome change in pace. It reminds me of knitting lace socks, or a shawl even. The pattern is simple enough and easily remembered and read in the knitting. So it’s virtually mindless. Purling back across the rows (it’s knit vertically instead of horizontally like most sweaters) is a bit time consuming.
After about 4” I’m picking up speed and finding it less daunting. You see I’ve purled incorrectly for 7 years. I wrap the yarn under the needle not over which makes twisted stitches. When you knit in the round or do ribbing this doesn’t matter. Which is part of the reason why it took me so long to figure out what I was doing and find the desire to correct it. I am trying and am wrapping correctly 85% of the time or catching myself before I finish an entire row of twisted stitches.
Overall this is a great pattern. I’ve already lengthened it by 1 repeat (20sts), 4” which I’ll add below the armholes to make sure it hits at my hips and not my natural waist. And the right front panel is supposed to be 13 repeats wide for 23”. I’ll do 14 to make it 24” ie a 48” bust. I bought an extra skein and I’m thinking that should be close enough to cover those additional stitches. Although, I am about 5” in and about half way through my first ball. If it keeps up like this I’ll have 3 skeins extra. I’ll keep you posted. Oh and the color, is so spring! It’s called Lupine.

1 comment:

Pam said...

The color work is impressive! You're such a bold knitter! It's great.