Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Devon Heaven

The reviews are in… 2009 Devon Heaven was a blast! There were about 30 Devons and people who are owned by Devons.

Mum and I had an uneventful ride down. Although Garmin said 8-9 hours it took us 11 once the bridge traffic and rest stops were factored in.

Mum was a trooper and drove exactly half of the time so I got to knit for a while with Mr. Adan on my lap. He’s such a laid back cat in comparison to Miss Isitt who is a bit spoiled to say the least. She demanded she be held, she despised Adan, and she was only quiet if she could sleep on my lap. By the end of the ride, I was ready to shoot her. She kept me up a good part of the night and growled at Adan every time he tried to lay down near us. But by morning Adan was curled up with us and Isitt decided that she loved him.

Friday was pretty low key. I was able to visit the Black Sheep Yarn Shop in Timonium Maryland. I got a skein of Yummy 100% super wash sock yarn in this lovely celery-avocado color. That evening we left the kids in the room while Mum and I went to the Rex-ception. A good time was had by all.

The next morning we were off to the show hall. We weren’t there an hour before one of our friends offered us Twilight Zone…a 7 month stunning little Chocolate Tabby female who’s sister is dominating the Devon Rex world (one of the top scoring kittens). Shocked we tried to focus on showing our babies and considering this generous offer. There were 15 kittens competing in Isitt and Adan’s age group. 8 Judges saw them, each rating the kittens color, adherence to the breed standard, and personality. Then they ranked their top 5. Adan was our pride and joy, showing off in the show ring, hanging like a monkey, knocking everything over, and just being adorable. He was the 5th best Devon Rex kitten!!! We honestly didn’t expect him to do so well and were thrilled. Isitt, my spoiled baby, who I’m completely blinded by because I love her so much, was 11th best kitten overall. I’m a little sad but at the same time, I know she isn’t wild about showing and I think she’s perfect just the same.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how funny the auction was. The Devon Rex Rescue League was able to raise almost $5K from the proceeds. There was a lot of original artwork and pottery. We laughed so hard joking about tiny pots, coveting bells, coming for a visit, and at just about anything that came out of Angela’s mouth. That night we all slept well, being exhausted from the show and evenings activities.

We decided that we’d be happy to take the little Chocolate Tabby home with us, and by we, I mean Mum not I. Between Linus, Isitt, and MacOban our house is full. So we renamed her Emma and watched her win 4th best Devon Rex kitten with the same pride we had for our two. After many more happy moments around 5pm Sunday, Mum and I packed it up and headed north. Thunder showers and the G.W. Bridge stood in our way but in the end we made it to Connecticut by midnight. Even with me screaming at one point, “I can’t see!!!!” to which Mum responded, “Then stop the car!!!” as we were flying down an off ramp. I was really tired and had rubbed my eyes too vigorously.

We slept-in while waiting for the commuters to get off the roads. But our ride home was not without excitement. At one point, in heavy traffic, Mum offered to take the ice-cold full water bottle I was holding so I could drive with both hands. I said yes please somewhat forcefully and may have scared her, because she reached over without looking and mistakenly (at least I hope it was a mistake) hit the water bottle sending cold water flying all over my face, hair, glasses, clothing, car ceiling, windshield, and her own lap. After two breaths we both burst out laughing and began to towel off. Ohh and I did drive all the way back, now if only you could reach to pat me on the back for such a epic undertaking. I can’t wait to do it all again!

4 comments:

Shary said...

Thanks for the wonderful narration of your trip. Congratulations to Adan for taking 5th, to Emma for 4th and to Terry on her new family member. And to Miss Isitt, you're still my favorite little girl. I don't care what they say, you're purrrfect in my eyes.

SEAandME said...

Haha sounds like it was a good time. You're babies are adorable :) And wow, you look soooooo much like your mom (at least in that picture)!

Hope to see you sometime soon... I was in NH this past weekend, but it was a quick trip to visit friends that are moving far away, so don't feel forgotten ;) Luckily though I did get to meet Mr. Simon for a little bit!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your description of the weekend. I assure you I did not intentionally spill water on you but it did make us even after your declaration of being unable to see driving around a corner at 40 or so miles per hour! Shear Fear!! Otherwise you did an incredible job getting us there and back in one piece. My only other comment is.....where's the cat show this weekend? Too much fun! Mum

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great time. congratulations to you both. AP