Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mum's Baudelaire's

They are finished! In February I started knitting Mum a pair of socks for Mother’s Day. I had just finished knitting a pair of Baudelaire’s for MeowMeowHead’s birthday and I loved the pattern so much I wanted to knit another pair. Perfect. I started and soon found that three socks in one pattern is a lot. I lost interest and the socks got put aside until a week before Mother’s Day when I began to panic. I had to act fast.

It worked out well that I wasn’t feeling too good on Monday. I had a cold but with the right combination of medicines I could stay awake and knit for a couple of hours. I worked about 12” of that second sock getting well past the heel. Tuesday came and went without any knitting. Wednesday saw knitting group and managed to only complete three rows. Which left me with Thursday night to finish them because I was seeing Mum after work on Friday and giving them to her then. I stayed up knitting way too late for a “school night”. I got up early to bind off, soak and block them. Then I headed to work with wet socks on the blockers in my car hoping they’d dry by the end of the day so I could wrap them up. This is by far the closest I’ve ever cut gift knitting. She’ll never know what a race it was but will cherish them the same as the other pairs I’ve knit. And when I see her wearing them I wonder if my heart will skip a beat as I remember that last minute anxiety to finish finish finish!

No comments: