Monday, January 18, 2010

Rise of the Hibernating

Today is the a rise of the hibernating socks. I forced myself out of bed and down to the French Press. I know it’s a holiday but if I sleep in today it’ll make getting up tomorrow all the more difficult. As I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen I remembered the Canute sock I had been working on last June. I think it was that The Baudelaire socks are knit with the Semi Solid Kettle dyed Knit Picks Yarn and yesterday I felt the urge to cast on another pair of socks with that yarn but only found army green. Obviously while I was sleeping my brain reminded me that I had a wonderful rust colorway that I cast on last June for a pair of Canute socks.

.

.

The Canute socks have a very warm spot in my heart. I knit The Boyfriend a pair but he never wears them. I really wanted them for myself but they were designed with Men in mind and knit to fit his foot. Last June I cast on this lovely pair for myself and promptly stopped all work on them in favor of a simpler pattern (this bad boy has an 18 row repeat with cables and the like). It’s not something you can pick up and put down easily.

.

.

While the coffee was brewing I started digging. And the more I dug the more I wondered just how many hibernating socks are in this house. I pilled the couch high with project bags and socks in various stages of construction. Wait now, it wasn’t too high. Like a foot high. Not super high. I don’t want you to get the impression that I take pleasure in starting and abandoning socks in progress. There are 18 socks in progress in my house. I consider 3 of them to be active projects (I’ve knit on them in the last 10 days), 3 of them have holes that need mending before they can be worn again, and 12 of them were languishing in the UFO pile.

.

.

Well, it’s time to revaluate these socks. Why did I lay them aside and do I have any interest in finishing them. I can say that 9 of those hibernating socks passed the test. The other 3, including my Can’t resist socks were frogged, ripped, trashed, demolished, destroyed, and left behind. It felt great.

.

.

Sipping some coffee I and looking at the snow that started to fall around 11 last night, I wondered if today might be a good day to take a holiday from my usual knitting. To take one day and devote it to working on the hibernating socks. I could probably do the darning and finish off one or two other socks. At least get past the heel on the Canute sock. Seems like a good idea to me so that’s what I’m doing on this snowy holiday.

No comments: