Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Is there such a thing as too successful?

Started the day as a Five-Mile-Wednesday…I know it’s not Friday. Although I did plenty of walking in Seattle I also did plenty of drinking and eating and have gained a few pounds. So having a couple five mile days this week definitely wont hurt anything. I listened to music the whole time, imagine, me, not listening to podcasts. The music did keep me pumped for the first four miles but the last few hills were a struggle.

I know that there is such a thing as too much a good thing. And last year at this exact time I was fretting over how to get people to come to knitting group. One night early on, after only 2 people came, I left and plastered ever condo complex, restaurant, coffee shop, library, university I could think of with flyers. Now here we are a healthy vibrant knitting group, growing every day and it’s amazing. I enjoy our time together and look forward to hanging out with my knit sibs every week. Tonight we were a group of fifteen, the largest we’ve ever been, so large in fact that we had several conversations going on at once. It was a bit overwhelming and boisterous. And if someone wanted to talk to the whole group it felt more like a presentation to the group rather than the usual chill conversation (and we all know how much I loath public speaking). Attempting to keep track of what was going-on and learn at least a little about the new faces was a challenge. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed myself, it’s just not what I had planned for my evening. The dynamic was completely different than it usually is and I fear that some of the regulars may not come back or may break off if knitting group is this exhausting every week. It’s always interesting to have a new person in our mist. Perhaps it was the mass number of new knitters that changed the group and made it feel a bit like a get to know you meeting instead of getting together with friends. I guess we’ll have to suck it up and get to the new people well enough to make them friends as well.

And finally, don't you think the boys have a tough life? You know sometimes sleeping for 7 hours a day is just too much and they need a break…


3 comments:

Pam said...

I wonder if it's kind of like a perfect storm-- the weather is starting to get cooler in the evenings and mornings so thoughts turn to wool and sweaters (= people want to knit), but it's not dark or cold enough for going out and/or driving to be a pain in the butt.

Anonymous said...

Glad I wasn't the only one feeling a bit overwhelmed with all those people there!

annieB said...

I haven't been to the knitting group for a while and I really miss you and Pam (Title Pam), Heather and Lisa, and the others. It's been a crazy summer and now my parents are visiting for two weeks. I hope I can have you guys over this fall.