Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Octopus Rain

Without the rain

On the Harbor Tour I learned that Seattle actually only gets 37” of rain a year as compared to Boston which gets 46”. The difference is that Seattle rainy season lasts for 9 months. So it was only fitting that as I strolled through Pike Place Market enjoying the sights and smell of all of the fresh flowers that it began to pour.








The devil in me is reveling as I watch the cars attempt to get up the wet steep hills from a complete stop. Lots of spinning tires and a sliding backwards. It’s evil and I know I shouldn’t but I laugh.


The Octopus intimidated me

After touring the harbor and knitting as I gazed at Puget Sound and the cargo cranes that inspired the Imperial Walkers in the Star Wars movies, I headed over to the Seattle Aquarium. Although I had been warned that it is a research facility first and foremost, I was not prepared for the stark displays with sparse signage and lack of seating. It made me really want to visit the “washing machine” at the Boston Aquarium.






I was amused by the sea and river otters. The fur seals with their big black eyes melted my heart.




And then I sat down with the kiddies in front of the octopus tank. Reading that the Octopi can see as well as I can, and already knowing how intelligent they are, the stage was set. Then the giant creature perched not ten inches from my face and looked me in the eye as it’s tentacles roved about.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I got the clear impression that this peculiar creature was completely aware of the situation and plotting our demise. For now, he had made a conscious decision to entertain the lowly humans. (I got goose bumps and also reminded me of “so long and thanks for all the fish”).
And did I mention that my legs are killing me. I’ve walked well over 5 miles both days. The rain is stopping so I’ll venture from one of the 100 Starbucks located in the 5 miles of Downtown. It really is the Starbucks capital and they all resemble my local hangout which is comforting in this big city.

No comments: