Sunday, August 10, 2008

Update! Update! Update!!!!

As of twenty minutes ago the Ivy League Vest has been cast off!!! I’m so happy to have the bulk of the knitting behind me. It also worked out perfectly that the cast off row would be a solid row so that the front and backs of the shoulders will match perfectly. Tomorrow in class I’ll learn to secure a steek and then it’ll be snip snip!!!


I recently watched the 1951 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I found it surprisingly good considering its age and lack of special effects. A good story will stand the test of time, regardless of how flashy the presentation.

I’ll be very curious to see how the remake does as compared to the stark original. The trailer features the line,
“If the earth dies, you die. If you die, the earth survives.” This does not fit with the original telling of the story which is that other worlds find humans to be hostile. Humans must refrain from using atomic weapons on each other or the universal police will step in and destroy Earth.

It would seem that today’s audiences need to learn to be environmentally conscious which doesn’t have the same bite. The quote makes it appear that the Earth is now of some value to the aliens which is not the case in the original telling. We’ll have to see in December when the film is released.

I cast on another pair of socks from the Favorite Socks book. The Undulating Rib Socks in Claudia Handpainted Yarns are not far along but I can already tell you that the yarn is like buttah!!! It’s silky smooth and so nice! I can see these flying along since the pattern is super easy to memorize.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations Steph! tomorrow will be a fun day!
kim